- Before doing any blood test you must clean, wash and dry your hands to remove anything that could change the result or cause infection.
- Setup your finger pricker with a new cartridge or lancet. Lancets are the needles that will create a very small hole in the skin.
- Setup your meter, switch it on, calibrate if required and insert a test strip.
- Prick your finger enough that blood will come out without applying pressure.
- Apply the test strip end to the blood and allow it to flow in. Your meter will let you know if enough blood has been applied.
- Wait for the result.
A short video guide about carrying out a blood glucose test.
Produced by the UCLH children and young people’s diabetes service.
If you need a Blood Glucose meter this is a good one that is commonly used.