Benefits and Allowances

Please share

If you have a child under 16, with type 1 diabetes you MAY be able to claim Disability Living Allowance.  Young people and adults over 16 years old normally have to apply for Personal Independence Payment.

You should be given information by your diabetes clinic about Diabetes, family support groups in your area, and how to claim Disability Living Allowance to help cover the extra costs involved with a long term health condition such as Type 1 diabetes and the extra supervision required now that s/he has diabetes.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to get awarded DLA on first application, but we would encourage you to always do a mandatory reconsideration and if need be after that request a tribunal.  Managing Type 1 diabetes is 24/7.

Benefits for under 16 years and over 16 years.

Benefits you may be able to claim for children under 16 years.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who: is under 16 has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability. They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements.

Benefits for over 16 years

In most areas, anyone over 16 must apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead of DLA.

Personal Independence Payment: What You Need to Know

Winning Your Benefit Appeal: What You Need to Know

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is £64.60 a week (Feb 2019) to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs.

To claim the person you are caring for must be in receipt of either:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – the middle or highest care rate

You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them.

Carer’s Allowance is taxable. It can also affect your other benefits.

You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

you’re 16 or over,

you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces you’re not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more you earn no more than £102 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension)

Diabetes UK has some information on completing the forms here At the bottom it goes through the pages step by step. We always do a week to 10 days care diary. We also test at night time. To be awarded the middle or higher rate you usually must be giving night time care. Always keep a copy of your completed application form.

There is also a closed Facebook group which offers support for parents  applying for DLA.

Children with Type 1 diabetes have a right to DLA

Benefit Calculator


Disability living allowance for children

PIP form Example

Please share